Photo by SDOT Photos.
Come on out for a day of car-free streets in Rainier! There are races, live entertainment, live music, and so much more! The 20th Annual Rainier Valley Heritage celebration embraces community and safe outdoor fun.
FREE TICKETS: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Seattle. Join our email list if you like free stuff!
Our new Seattle Events App is available for iPhones and Android! Now, you can have all of the great Seattle events and ticket giveaways from the website in the palm of your hand when you’re out on the town.
Download iPhone Events App here
Download Android Events App here
Rainier Valley Culture Fest Weekend Info:
Rainier Valley Culture Fest Weekend
Saturday, August 18, 2012 | 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Free
Rainier Valley Culture Fest Weekend
2323 East Cherry St., Seattle, Washington 98122
More info: www.seattle.gov
Tell your neighbors, tell your friends! Saturday, August 18 is a party along Rainier! This free event opens the city’s largest public space – its streets – so people can walk, bike, roll, run, skip and shop – without having to watch out for cars! Summer Streets is partnering with the Rainier Chamber of Commerce and the 20th Annual Rainier Valley Heritage Parade for some good old fashioned fun. Thanks to CleanScapes for being a sponsor of this event.
- Watch 98118’s Got Talent performances including performers from the Vietnamese American, Cambodian, American Samoa, Filipino and Japanese communities
- Race in Waste Management’s recycling relays
- Purchase local art at Columbia City Art Gallery’s Art in the Alley event from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Participate in a good old BBQ Contest from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. prizes awarded for multiple categories like best ribs and best BBQ from a church team. ONLY A FEW MORE SPOTS REMAIN!
- Bring a picnic, watch the parade, decorate bikes with Cascade Bicycle Club and then bike in the grand finale of the Heritage Parade—meet in the Greater New Bethel Baptist Church parking lot by 10:30 a.m.
- Play at the Bike Extravaganza hosted by Bike Works including an ‘art bike contest’, bike test rides, games and more
- Get your sight and hearing checked by the Lion’s Club in the Full Tilt parking lot
- Practice gymnastics at the Summersault City hosted by Seattle Gymnastics Academy
- Make flowers with Flowers of Lesotho to benefit orphans and vulnerable children in Southern Africa
- Enjoy music played by Hollow Earth Radio DJs
- Talk to neighborhood Police Officers during one of the “Officer Chats”
- Participate in Detective Cookie’s Urban Youth Chess Club
- Learn about the great work non-profits in Rainier Valley and the city are doing and how to get involved. Organizations include Youth in Focus, Neighborcare Health, and Forterra
- Check out a 120 pound 5 feet tall robot made by Franklin High School team xbot
- Meet Zap Gridlock, Sound Transit’s superhero and take a picture at the Link photo booth!
- Live music at Hudson hosted by the Columbia City Theater and The Royal Room
- Take part in a Hip Hop Workshop hosted by Tony Benton
- AND SO MUCH MORE
We are bringing back Seattle’s Largest Canned Food Pyramid too! Last year we collected over close to a 1,000 cans of healthy food for the Rainier Valley Foodbank. Plan on bringing your donations to Summer Streets and we’ll build an even bigger pyramid this year.
On August 19, make sure stop by another awesome event, the Annual Othello Park International Music & Art Festival. The pyramid is being built in the Full Tilt parking lot at 5041 Rainier Avenue S .