Seattle Buddhist Church presents its yearly celebration of ancestors and tradition! Come experience the Bon Odor Festival, with dancing in the street, martial arts performances, crafts, and traditional food.
FREE TICKETS: We give out 100s of $$$ in free tickets every week including to many of the top music and art venues in Seattle. Join our email list if you like free stuff!
Seattle Buddhist Temple
1427 S. Main, Seattle, WA
(206) 329-0800 | More info: www.seattlebetsuin.org
Bon Odori is a traditional summer festival in which we honor our ancestors who have passed on, remember and appreciate all they have done for us, and celebrate their ongoing presence in the lives we enjoy today.
Also known as Obon, the festival is an official Seafair event held on Saturday, July 21, and Sunday, July 22 at the Seattle Buddhist Temple. The main event is traditional music and dancing in the street in a giant oval. Many festivalgoers dress in Japanese kimono or yukata. The event also features Japanese food booths and refreshment, taiko and martial arts performances, and craft exhibits and demonstrations.
More about Bon Odori
- Dance practice will run July 9-12 and July 16-17 from 7:30 to 9 pm at the temple.
- See a Q & A with Seattle Bon Odori festival organizer Ron Hamakawa from a 2009 article in MyNorthwest.com.
NOTE: For those who like to come early to save a spot on the grassy area next to the street, please wait until Friday midnight to do this for the safety of the volunteers who are working in that area late that night. If you come earlier, whatever you are using to mark your spot will be removed.
Related Seattle Events and Ticket Giveaways:
- Events: Our Seattle Events Calendar & Ticket Giveaways
- All Month: Seattle Chamber Music Society 2012 Summer Festival @ Benaroya Hall
- July 20-22: Bite Of Seattle @ Seattle Center | Food & Drink, Music, Comedy
- July 20-22: Kirkland Uncorked Regional Showcase of Art, Food & Wine On Lake Washington (Win Tickets, $60+)